Blue Glowing Sugar
Did you know sugar can glow? Yes, and all you need is a hammer!
|Category: || Science
||Time frame: || ten minutes |
||Where: || |
|Level: || easy
||What you need: || everyday objects |
|Keywords: || sugar, crystal, glow, blue |
| Article written by Simon |
What you need:
- white rock sugar (you need large sugar crystals)
- a hammer
- a (nearly) completely dark room
Take your sugar crystals to a completely dark room. Hit the sugar with the hammer. While being crushed, the sugar crystals will glow blue. Not very bright and for a short moment only, but it will glow. You might need several tries to see it.
- As it is dark, pay attention what you hit with your hammer! Make sure nobody is hurt!
- For better orientation it helps if you have a desk lamp nearby, which you can switch on/off quickly.
- When hitting the sugar crystals with the hammer, small sugar pieces will fly around. To avoid this you can put the sugar into a small transparent plastic bag. But the effect might be harder to see then.
- If you have difficulties to see the glowing, wait a couple of minutes until your eyes have adopted to the darkness.