The KidsMakeStuff Cipher Disk
An easy to build cipher machine to encrypt and decrypt text
|Category: || Science
||Time frame: || half an hour |
||Where: || |
|Level: || easy
||What you need: || everyday objects |
|Keywords: || cipher, cipher disc, encryption, cryptology |
| Article written by Andreas |
How to make your own KidsMakeStuff Cipher Disk
- Print out the PDF below on thick paper or glue printout on card board
- Cut out the 2 disks
- Cut out the the rectangle next to "CODE"
- Make holes into the disk centers and attach the smaller disk to the larger one using a brass paper fastener
How to operate the disk
- turn inner disk to set code
- for each letter: find it in outer ring and replace it with letter in inner ring
- turn inner disk to set right code
- for each letter: find it in inner ring and replace it with letter in outer ring
KIDSMAKESTUFF IS GREAT
in Code F would be
[F] ECXMGUEYMNOZZ CM ALYUN
CAN YOU READ THIS?
in Code X would be
[X] ECP AQW TGCF VJKU?
So now try it yourself!
[H] ZSNW XMF!!
Here's the PDF file: KidsMakeStuff_Cipher_Disk.pdf
To print it out you need a PDF Reader like the one from Adobe.